Here at John Poyser Solicitors, we can ensure that your assets are protected and safeguarded for future generations. Our Wills and Probate solicitors will combine their knowledge and skills so that you feel in complete control of the entire process.
It is important to note the real value of a professionally executed Will and our specialist solicitors will assist you at every stage of the process. We can aid you in planning your estate in a Tax efficient way. It also means that your estate will be bequeathed as much as possible, in accordance with your own wishes.
Probate Solicitors in Manchester
We understand that following the death of a loved one, dealing with legalities can be extremely difficult and upsetting for a family. Our Probate solicitors can explain process and guide you where there is a Will in place or in the absence of a Will, advise on the Intestacy rules.
Private Client Solicitors
Our private client department specialises in matters concerning the elderly. We provide expert legal advice and representation in the following areas:-
– Lasting Power of Attorney
– Living Wills (Advanced Decision to refuse treatment)
– Court-Appointed Deputies
– Entering care and strategies which may reduce liability for nursing home fees
We are able to draft straightforward Wills for a fixed fee. However, in the event that more complex estate planning is required, we will advise you of the additional work to be undertaken and the additional fees required before proceeding with your instructions.
A standard simple Will £200 plus VAT of £40 – £240
Simple Mirror Wills £300 plus VAT of £60 – £360
We aim to complete your Will(s) in 7 – 10 days from initial instruction. Richard Alleyne a Solicitor will undertake the majority of the work and he is supervised by John Poyser.
John Poyser Solicitors do not charge for an initial conversation about the Estate of a deceased. This gives you an opportunity to discuss how we can help in relation to the Administration of the Estate and we can discuss with you our likely costs.
In terms of charges for handling the entire process of Administering an Estate, we would always provide you with an estimate which sets out our minimum and maximum charge.
Our fees are calculated on the following basis:-
10 – 15 hours work at our standard charging out rate of £217 per hour plus 1% of the gross value of the Estate plus VAT.
Our fees therefore are calculated between £2,170 plus VAT of £434 a total of £2,604 and £3,255 plus VAT of £651 a total of £3,906.
The factors that will affect our fees include:-
– The size of the Estate;
– The number of individual assets held and liabilities which need to be investigated;
– The number of executors and beneficiaries;
– The level and detail of information provided about the deceased and their assets.
– The estimate is based on an average estate which is administered. We will provide, in relation to each estate, either a full specific quote or estimate which can always be provided before we proceed to undertake any work.
Disbursements are costs relating to the administration of an estate that are payable to third parties, such as Probate Court fees. We will handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf and the following is a summary of the likely disbursements:
– Probate Court fee – £155 (Not subject to VAT)
– Additional copies of the grant of representation – £1.50 (Not subject to VAT)
– Bankruptcy search against each beneficiary – £2 (Not subject to VAT)
– Valuation of assets, including property, jewellery/antiques and share valuations (TBA)
– Fees payable to trace any missing beneficiaries (TBA)
– Obtaining copy documents such as grants of probate and marriage certificates to claim any transferable Inheritance (TBA)
– Legal Notice Fees (TBA)
– Tracing Beneficiaries (TBA)
Please note that there will be an additional fee for swearing the Oath and marking the Will where appropriate. However, as we act on your behalf, these fees will be payable to the Firm where the Oath is sworn and are therefore not covered here.
Our quote for the full administration of the Estate covers the following:-
– Ascertaining the value of all the assets held in the Estate, which includes the balances held in any bank or building society accounts, the value of any shares and other investments and any properties which are owned;
– Ascertaining any liabilities of the estate;
– Identifying the legally appointed Executors or Administrators and Beneficiaries of the estate;
– Accurately identifying the type of probate application which will be required;
– Completing the relevant HM Revenue & Customs forms and if the estate is subject to Inheritance Tax, arranging for the payment of any tax to be made;
– Preparing the Oath papers for swearing by the personal representatives to enable us to submit an application to the Probate Registry to obtain the grant of representation, which is the formal authority to handle the assets and distribute the estate;
– Arranging to collect in the assets of the estate and paying any funeral expenses and other debts;
– The preparation of an estate account in respect of monies received and paid out on behalf of the estate for your approval, prior to distributing the estate;
– Answering any enquiries from the Department for Work & Pensions in the event of any benefits being received during the lifetime of the deceased;
– Finalising the Income Tax affairs of the deceased;
If we are required to simply apply for Letters of Administration or the Grant of Probate, having been provided with all of the required information to make the application, we will charge a fixed fee of £750 plus VAT of £150 a total of £900 plus the Application fee and disbursements.
Richard Alleyne a Solicitor will undertake the majority of the work.
In terms of overall timescales for the administering an average estate, it can take between 3 to 12 months subject to collecting the assets, preparing Draft Accounts, Probate Application Forms and the necessary Oath and then making the Application for the Grant or Letters of Administration.
The time is often dependent on whether or not there is a property which forms a part of the Estate.
Lasting Power of Attorney
We prepare your Lasting Power of Attorney for Financial Decisions and for Health and Care Decisions for a fixed fee on the following basis:-
£350 plus VAT of £70 – £420 per Power
In addition, there is an application fee of £82 per Power.
The work Involved:
– Taking initial instructions
– Completing each Application
– Acting as the Certificate Provider, if appropriate
– Witnessing the signature of the Donor and where appropriate the signature of the Attorney(s), replacement Attorney(s)
– Notifying persons where appropriate,
– Submitting the Application
Richard Alleyne a Solicitor will undertake the majority of the work.
We aim to have the Power(s) completed and submitted to the Office of the Public Guardian within 7 – 14 days from initial instructions.
Here at John Poyser Solicitors, we pride ourselves on the experience and expertise our dedicated solicitors have amassed over the years. We always strive to achieve the very best results for our clients and will go the extra mile to do so.